Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gouache Resist


I did this "gouache resist"technique some time ago and have been hunting through my books/magazines for the artist that did it.....i found it very interesting ...i tried it and really liked it....You draw your picture on watercolor paper....i drew mine with pencil then out lined with pen and then erased the pencil....then i gave it a wash of watercolor just to color the paper.....you then use white gouache (generously) to cover the whole picture except for the lines of the drawing..(time consuming)....let dry and then cover over the gouache and lines with black waterproof ink.....let dry and then take it to the sink and wash the ink and gouache off...gently....I used my fingers .let dry..... you are left with a very interesting piece that you can then color with your medium of choice....My profile picture is done with this technique also....


I would love to credit the artist that I learned this from.....Has anyone seen this article???...Seems to me it was in Cloth Paper Scissors....
By the way, I titled this drawing "Don't You Dare".....

6 comments:

Diane said...

I love this-I've never used gouache before, but thank you for sharing--something new to try!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Sounds like such an interesting technique. Don't think I have white qouache but I might. Dont' remember seeing it in CPS.

Debby said...

This is so beautiful, sounds like a lot of work, but well worth it.
Debby

Regina said...

I remember this too! Really like how you did it.
Just did a quick search (sort of...)
and recognized the cover of the Jan/Feb 2008 CPS.
http://www.interweavestore.com/Mixed-Media/Magazines/Cloth-Paper-Scissors-January-February-2008.html

Lynne Brotman said...

I love the gouache painting that you did. You can do something very similar on fabric, and I have been designing art quilt fabric using the gouache technique. A little different than yours, but both fun with remarkable results.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog as I was searching around...I paint mostly in gouache resist, though I use it a little differently. I paint colors of gouache, not white, then ink over the whole thing.
Check out my blog
www.kierendutcher.blogspot.com, for a tutorial.